Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Proof by Seduction by Courtney Milan

⭐⭐⭐

The August 2022 book chosen for Rake Appreciation Society was Proof by Seduction by Courtney Milan. This is not only her debut book, but the first in her Carhart series. Rake Appreciation is hosted by Crystal and Jenn and this month the live show was on the 17th! I was able to use this to cover the prompt new to you series for the 2nd board of Summer of Swoon.

Jenny has been working as Madame Esmerelda, a fortune teller. She is not a real fortune teller and is starting to feel trapped and lonely in her life. When one of her clients, and only friend, brings his cousin Gareth to an appointment, he's only their to scientifically prove that she's a fraud. Jenny, Ned and Gareth end up in a bet where Jenny foretells that Gareth will meet the woman to become his wife at an upcoming ball and if he follows the tasks she sets, can win her heart. Gareth doesn't trust Jenny at all, but in able to see through her disguise finds himself intrigued and attracted to her. His scientific mind wants to figure her out and solve this conundrum, but soon he doesn't think he'll ever be able to stop wanting to be with Jenny in all ways.

Okay, this book was a little bit of a struggle for me. I enjoy Courtney Milan's book and this was one was good as well. I think it was really well paced and I like that she pushes the steaminess pretty quickly. She writes smart and I really noticed it here, probably because this was her debut. Where I struggled is in two main things. First, I am not a fan of the class difference trope; doubly when it's the woman that's the lower class. I very rarely enjoy it and usually find myself not liking a lot of the elements that usually take place when it's the woman potentially becoming the mistress or being brought into society.

Honestly though, I just didn't feel connected to Jenny or Gareth. I found myself start to skim at about the 55% mark. It felt long, even though it's average sized (although I feel like longer than the typical Harlequin). I didn't really feel invested in their relationship and struggled finding something something that I could relate too. I think the character I cared about the most was Ned and Lady Kate. Ned is struggling with depression and it was hard to see him go through the ups and downs. So content warning for that as well as mentions of contemplating suicide. I do feel like Gareth has some sort of social disorder because it's really hard for him to make friends. He constantly finds himself coming across too stern or uncaring and it bothers him, but he's almost unable to stop himself. Maybe I'm reading too much into it though.

I'm happy to have finally read another Courtney Milan, but she's not a top author for me. I love supporting another Asian author, but I haven't gotten that 5-star, blow me away read yet. I will keep trying because overall I do enjoy her works. Hopefully I'll find the one that clicks for me. I'm going to continue to pick up her books for sure.

Have you read Proof by Seduction?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Proof by Seduction, Courtney Milan, 3-stars, 1 day, eBook, 352 pages, published in 2009, traditionally published

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...