Saturday, August 6, 2022

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

For the month of July, the assigned book for the SJM-along was A Court of Mist and Fury! This is the second book in Sarah J Maas's highly popular series A Court of Thorns and Roses. If you haven't heard of the readalong, it was created by Jenn (The Book Refuge) and is a readalong going through Sarah's blacklist in publication order. This month the live show was moved to Jenn's channel. I was able to use this for the booksta rec prompt on the 2nd board of Summer of Swoon.

After the events of A Court of Thorns and Roses, Feyre is struggling with what happened. Tamlin and her are trying to get the Spring Court back to normal proceedings, but with both of them still struggling through their trauma their relationship is not the same. After a couple months Tamlin proposes and Feyre sets about learning to be a high lord's consort and planning the wedding with Priestess Ianthe. As Feyre starts wasting away and stops taking care of herself, Rhysand shows up to enact the bargain struck Under the Mountain. He takes her to the Night Court and sets about helping her learn to read and helps her train her new magical powers. As Tamlin gets more and more controlling, Feyre finally breaks and Rhys saves her. He offers her the change to join his court and become part of his Inner Circle as war threatens once again.

I don't know how I'm going to review this book in my layout of two paragraphs and without it just being a ginormous gush fest. First, I have to mention the way that Sarah handled PTSD and the different ways it manifest was really well done. I don't have any direct experience, but it felt real to me and I did hear from others with first or second-hand experience that it was represented well. What blew me away was how it affected Tamlin, Rhysand and Feyre all so deeply, but manifested itself in different ways. Now I know that there is a lot of hate for Tamlin, and I understand it. I do allow him quite a bit of grace though because he is suffering as well. We just don't get to see as much the hows because we don't get his POV. Where I get more frustrated with with the people around Tamlin (outside of Ianthe) not stepping in to help both Tamlin and Feyre. There's servants and guards and friends and I just wish that one of them pushed harder to get them both the help they needed. Not that I wish that Tamlin and Feyre ended up together, because she's fated mates with Rhys, but I did want to see them both be taken care of. They both have changed drastically and it makes sense that they don't necessarily work together as a romantic pairing anymore. It was just sad to see for both of them that they were stuck. 

Okay, so Rhys and his inner court are absolutely amazing. I love them all so dearly and would love to be a part of the their friend group. The way that they all treated Feyre when they met her was so sweet to see and it really helped that they treated her as a person and not the "savior." I also loved how they all tried to take care of Feyre and Rhys as well and did stand up to them when they needed it (unlike Tamlin's court). Once again there were so many cinematic moments in this book that were elevated even more by Graphic Audio. The final ending scene where they are all around the cauldron was so haunting and I didn't want to pause, even to go to the bathroom. I love the evolution of Rhys's and Feyre's relationship and how they really were able to connect with each other on all levels. I was crying when the big thing happened at the end, but then there were a couple more chapters and I was cheering and so happy for them. 

Honestly, my review probably doesn't do this book justice, but I absolutely adored this book so much and so far it's probably my favorite of Sarah's books I've read so far. We have a little bit before getting to A Court of War and Ruin, but I can't wait. I'm nervous about what's going to happen with the war and if we're going to lose any of my favorite characters because let's be honest, it still guts me that Nehemia died in Crown of Midnight. We'll see what happens. For the meantime though, we are jumping back to Throne of Glass and Empire of Storms for August's reading.

Have you read A Court of Mist and Fury?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: A Court of Mist and Fury, Sarah J Maas, 5-stars, 1 day, Paperback & Audiobook, 626 pages, published in 2016, traditionally published

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...