Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Heir of Fire by Sarah J Maas

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

To start off May, I needed to go through and figure out my timeline with my two readalongs, book club books and the Mafia Romance and Historical Romance Readathons. To make sure I got Heir of Fire read in time for the live show, I decided to pick it up first! This is the third book in Sarah J Maas's Throne of Glass series. I am reading all of Sarah J Maas's backlist for the SJM-along. It's created by Jenn (The Book Refuge), but the first two books for the month of May will be discussed on Tori's (Novel Life) channel. I was able to use Heir of Fire for my Love has Sprung and Taylor Swift Quarterly reading challenges for the prompts cover model wearing a dress and 22 (new adult book) respectively. I was also able to use this for my May Yahtzee Challenge for the Full House (2 or 3 in the page count or publication date) prompt!

Celaena is headed out of Rifthold and towards Wendlyn. When she arrives, she is torn on following the king's orders to be a spy and do her assassination, but she also doesn't want to reach out for help; even though she's related. When Rowan, a Fae Prince, comes upon her he takes her to meet with Maeve. To enter the Fae realms she needs to gain approval from Rowan and undergo training. As they struggle to find trust and learn from each other, things around the world aren't stopping. Dorian is dealing with controlling his newfound magic and Chaol is finally starting to see what the rebels are fighting for and shares Celaena's true identity with her long lost cousin. There's also a new POV that's Manon, an Ironteeth witch that has been granted, along with her sisters, access to wyverns by the King.

Oh my gosh, this book had so much going on and I really loved just watching everyone and everything evolve and I can't wait to see how it all culminates. First off, Celaena. There is something so touching and deep seated about the way Sarah writes about grief. I'm not usually a reader that highlights quotes, but I had to do quite a few here that really just hit me in my soul. I even had to share a couple with my boss at work. I know that people struggle with Celaena, but even in Crown of Midnight I was giving her leeway because I knew she was struggling with her grief and repressing a lot of it. Here we really get to see her work through all that's she's repressed; not only the grief of Nehemia, but even Sam and before then her parents and countrymen and country. The way that she eventually starts opening up to herself is just so beautiful and really touched me. Also, I absolutely adore Rowan and really hope he's end game for Celaena. There's subtle hints of a romance between them, but I can also see them as just really good friends. We'll see what happens there.

As for the other side characters, I'm loving Dorian's story line. I liked him from the first book and I'm really intrigued to see how things are going to go with his magic and dealing with the fallout from his father. He really gets put in a tough position, but is one of the more willing constituants to speak out to his father. Now, Chaol I have struggled with. I do feel like he's kind of waking up and finally taking a stance so I'm not on the full "hate train" anymore. I'm still not sure what to think 100%, but he made some interesting moves and relationships during this book that have me more intrigued about his storyline. We also meet a couple new side characters, the first being Aedion, Celaena's cousin. He was so much fun and I can't wait to see him and Celaena meet up and learn more about him. I have to say, as much as I am swooning for Rowan, I can't decide if he or Aedion is a better book boyfriend for me. I also am absolutely obsessed with Manon and her wyrvern Abraxos. I gushed about them during my vlog and I was just so drawn into the her POV and the connection between her and her thirteen as well as her and Abraxos. Can I just say, Abraxos is my favorite. I absolutely adore him. But I am a dragon girl!

I had so much fun reading this book and cannot wait to jump back into the series. I have a little bit of time before we do though since the readathon is going in publication order. The second portion of May is actually going to be A Court of Thorns and Roses. Another new series that's been hyped, but I'm starting to really trust Sarah J Maas. Plus, even though it's really hyped, I feel like the percentage of people that read it and love it is so astronomically lopsided I'm not too worried. Whatever book comes next, I'm here for. Why oh why have I been sleeping on Sarah J Maas?

Have you read Heir of Fire?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Heir of Fire, Sarah J Maas, 5-Stars, 4 days, eBook, 568 pages, published in 2014, traditionally published

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...