Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

After getting through my Rake Appreciation Book, I had to jump into my next readalong books for the Hidden Legacy readalong. The first book this month is the first book in the series by Ilona Andrews, Burn for Me. The readalong is a continuation of the Kate Daniels readalong I participated in, we've just switched series. It is hosted by the same ladies, Stef, Heather and Megan, but also added is Izzy! I was able to use this for my reading challenges as well covering the prompts building or house on the cover for Love Has Sprung board 2 and Cornelia Street (road or building on cover) for the Taylor Swift Quarterly Challenge.

Nevada runs her family's investigation business. When they needed money for her father's medical issues, they joined the conglomerate of House Montgomery. When tasked by their parent company to bring in a Prime fire magic user that's playing rebel, Nevada gets thrust into a larger plot than expected. As she tries to track down the missing Prime and bring him in to his family before the authorities catch him, she runs into one of the most powerful Primes around, "Mad" Rogan. They find themselves working the same case and decide to team up. As a secret group's activities start to become exposed, things get even more dangerous for Nevada and her family. She'll have to embrace her magic, and even "Mad" Rogan to complete her mission.

Oh my gosh! Now, this is a reread for me, but I honestly forgot how much I loved this book. I knew I loved it the first time and remembered that I loved it, but oh my gosh this book is just so good. Now the magic system in this series I do have to say is a little more complex in hierarchy, but is still easy to pick up. Ilona Andrews once again just completely creates such a vivid and expansive world. They are just masters and not only fleshing out our main characters, but all side characters now matter how minor their role. It just feels so encompassing and I think Ilona and Gordon are some of the best at world-building in books. 

We do get a little more romance here compared to the Kate Daniels series, and I am here for it! I love the tension between Rogan and Nevada. The way that they dance around each other and the attraction that's building is so fun and I'm glad that they amped it up for this series. I don't want to go too much into plot because it might spoil some things, but the way that we see Nevada get thrown more into the higher magic user ranks really helps the reader understand what's happening. While she does have truthseeker magic (and is pretty powerful level wise), she has kept it hidden thanks to her father knowing that she would've been taken advantage of from a young age. She knows a lot about the magic world, but is still missing the nuances compared to if she had grown up and taken classes from a young age. It's all just masterfully done.

Seriously, if you've read Ilona Andrews, but haven't read this series yet, definitely pick it up. If you are reading this closer to when I originally posted, please join in on the readalong! The June books will be 3 and 3.5 and the live show is planned for June 17th. If you want to go back and watch the live show for the May books, you can watch it here! I also do want to mention there are two POVs from Rogan that are free on their website. They were super fun and a great extra addition to the books. Especially the first one which is set when Rogan kidnaps Nevada.

Have you read Burn for Me?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Burn for Me, Ilona Andrews, 5-stars, 0 days, Paperback, 382 pages, published in 2014, traditionally published

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...