Thursday, March 31, 2022

The Something About Her by Rachel Higginson

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Since I already read the first three books of Rachel Higginson's Opposites Attract series, I decided to go ahead and finish the series. The fourth and final book is The Something About Her. I was able to use this for the Love Has Sprung prompt backlist romance.

Dillon has unexpectedly been named the new executive chef for her brother's restaurant Bianca. She was hoping to hit that career milestone in the future, but feels it's too early. As she struggles with her identity both in her career and overall, she keeps running into Vann. What starts off as a slightly antagonistic relationship quickly changes as they both learn that their first impressions of each other were wrong. When Dillon starts opening up about things to Vann that even her own brother doesn't know, they move from friends to lovers.

First off, this book was a little bit of a struggle for me, but really pulled it out in the end. I wasn't too sure about Vann as a hero and really connected with Dillon's identity issues in the beginning. When we as the reader learn about how she developed those issues, it just breaks your heart. From the previous books we were aware of the abusive situation with Ezra and Dillon's father, but we also learn that when Dillon was a reckless party girl, she was drugged and raped. Big triggers for that situation. It was really tough to read Dillon's struggles with opening up to anyone (outside of her therapist), but I did like that even though we don't see her in therapy currently she has been through it. It broke my heart that she hadn't even let Ezra know it had happened, but when she shared her experience with Vann it made it all the more powerful. Now, I feel like I should also mention that there really isn't any comeuppance for the perpetrator. Dillon isn't sure who he is and it's now been over 5 years since the incident. There is a beautiful author's note at the end about how powerful it is for other's to speak out about what happened to them, but it doesn't work that way for everyone. Even though I wanted this guy hogtied and tortured (my dark romance side comes out), I loved the beauty that it wasn't Dillon's way to be so vocal about it.

To move on to more happier things though, I really loved joining Dillon on her way to find identity and really come to join her in gaining her self-confidence. I also loved the way that Vann was constantly helping her, but it wasn't in a way that showed he was taking over. It just was so well done. Like I mentioned earlier I was on the fence with them, but seeing how they both progressed and grew together was so beautiful. I thinks that's really what it came down to for me; this book was so beautiful and a great way to end the series.

What's fun about this little binge I went on, is there's another author note in the back that there is going to be a spin-off set in the same city! We met the first hero Will a couple times in this series since he owns a craft bar in town and is friends with Killian. The first book of Decisions in Durham is actually already out and called Decisions We Make After Midnight. I can't wait to pick up this other series by Rachel. The second book comes out in May, so I have time to get caught up!

Have you read The Something About Her?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: The Something About Her, Rachel Higginson, 5-stars, 1 day, eBook, 347 pages, published in 2019, indie published

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...