Tuesday, March 29, 2022

The Difference Between Us by Rachel Higginson

⭐⭐⭐⭐💫

After reading The Opposite of You, I immediately jumped into The Difference Between Us. This is the second book in Rachel Higginson's Opposites Attract series. I applied this to the Love Has Sprung prompt slow burn romance.

Molly has been struggling at her 9-5 job. She works for an advertising company as the social media guru, but most of her co-workers aren't up to the current needs of society. As she struggles to show the importance of social media advertising, she is also being harassed by her boss. He's also the CEO's son and she feels like she can't really go to anyone for help. When Ezra comes to her for help for his restaurants' advertising, he starts learning more about her skill set. Molly is also a painter, but struggles with acknowledging her talent and won't sell her paintings. As Ezra and Molly work closer together on various projects, he ends up finagling her to paint a mural at his lowest performing restaurant, Bianca. The more time that they spend together, the more Molly and Ezra can't seem to stay away from each other and eventually give in to their feelings.

This was so good and I really enjoyed it as well, but in a different way than The Opposite of You. So once again, we have a couple triggers, and as you can tell from my summary it's for harassment. Molly's boss starts off with grazes and staring, but constantly is doing double entendre and finding ways for them to end up in meetings together. Now nothing really physical happens outside of one firm boob grab, but I can see how it can be triggering. Even more so since she get's told she's overthinking by HR three separate times. She does have a female friend that walks with her to her car after work and a few other times they buddy up, but I just had to dock a 1/2 star for this situation. I didn't like that no other coworkers came forward or at least banded together to protect each other. Even from the males that saw what was happening but didn't step up. I understand that that was the point of the situation, but it would've been nice that even if nobody was able to stand up to this guy they could at least buddy up as much as possible. Because this was a big deal in the story, I did want my revenge at the end but it was just a few lines in the epilogue. I wanted this guy's head and was felt left feeling a little "that's it?" I liked that Ezra pushed the issue and supported Molly, but I do wish that we could've seen what went down as the reader so we could get that little bit of closure as well.

But let's get to the good stuff. Ezra and Molly, oh my gosh. I loved them both and how they interacted with each other. Molly is one of the only people to talk-back to Ezra and call him out when he's wrong. I just loved how much Ezra wanted her because he needed that and too many people in his life were willing to just roll over. I also love how much he supported her in all aspects of her life, including the fact that Molly can't cook anything. I mean, she frequently burns toast. There was a scene where she tries to cook them dinner and does spaghetti and it ends up a complete disaster. The way that Ezra handled it and an emotional Molly was just so sweet. Honestly, I loved most everything about this book except for Molly's corporate job situation.

Like I mentioned in my review for The Opposite of You, I went on a binge of this series so the reviews for the other two books are coming soon! I can't wait to look into Rachel Higginson's backlist and see what else she's written. I also love that the series is all based around Restaurant people and while the first book was about chefs, here we get Ezra the owner. I loved seeing a different side of the business!

Have you read The Difference Between Us?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: The Difference Between Us, Rachel Higginson, 4.5-stars, 1 day, eBook, 284 pages, published in 2017, indie published

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...