Monday, March 21, 2022

Beard Science by Penny Reid

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Continuing my cramming of books to finish off the 2nd board of Winter's Kiss, I needed a grumpy-sunshine book. I've been wanting to reread Beard Science by Penny Reid lately so it was perfect to fill that prompt. This is the 3rd book in her Winston Brothers series.

Jennifer, the "Banana Cake Queen" is feeling trapped with her parents. Having been home schooled and forced to work for her mother's bakery, she is a little out of touch with the rest of Green Valley. Since she has always been left to the outskirts since has spent her time observing everyone. Jennifer has come to the conclusion that Cletus is most dangerous person in town. When she catches him stealing evidence from the sheriff's office, she hatches a plan. Jennifer is going to blackmail Cletus to help her find a husband and escape from her parent's clutches.

I cannot say how much I absolutely adore Cletus and Jennifer. This was a reread that was even better than the first time I read it. There's just something so endearing about Jennifer, and yet also so strong. She is treated horribly by her parents, more specifically her father. The fact that she comes out of his horrible way of raising her being such a good-hearted and nice person is completely mind-boggling. She is also so smart and a master baker. I love when she tells Cletus about the different kid groups that come through that she gives not only baking lessons, but chemistry lessons as well. A really poignant conversation between them is also when Cletus tries to get her to consider going to college or doing something else. Jennifer talks about how what it is she really wants in life is to be a mother and wife and that it's truly one of the most difficult jobs.

I also really love how Cletus is so set in his ways and Jennifer completely throws everything out of sync for him. The way that Cletus constantly gets surprised by Jennifer is so delightful and I just love seeing him drawn further and further into learning who Jennifer really is. Cletus really pushes her to really accept and become herself. The only thing really that I don't like is how her brother treated her, but at the same time I know there's going to be a storyline there. It's horrible the way that most people treat Jennifer, but I love how the Winston family just takes her in.

It's hard to not just keep this love fest going, but there is just so much greatness in this book. It's my favorite of the series and one of the best contemporary books I've ever read. I also need to get around to finally finishing this series and starting the Jenn and Cletus spin-off Solving for Pie. I think this could work pretty good as a stand-alone, so if you aren't interested in reading the full series, definitely check out Beard Science. It's just so spectacular.

Have you read Beard Science?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Beard Science, Penny Reid, 5-stars, 0 days, eBook, 384 pages, published in 2016, indie published

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...