Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Under the Highlander's Spell by Donna Fletcher

🍎🍎🍎🍎

After getting through the Kindle Clear Out readathon and subsequent mafia binge I went on, I needed a little bit of a change of pace. I went back to my new comfort read, Donna Fletcher. I decided to jump back into her Sinclair Brothers series after reading the first for the Kindle Clear Out. Book 2 is Under the Highlander's Spell. This book did take a me a little longer to get through, but that was mainly due to putting together a new bookshelf and rearranging my room on top of a lot of Avalanche games.

In this book our Hero is Artair and the second oldest son. His romance is with the healer Zia and starts out with him rescuing her from being burned as a witch. It's woven throughout the book, but since Zia is a very learned and skilled healer, when she's in areas where she is there early enough to prevent any or little deaths, some people get scared and call her as such. One small reason this is a four star is because of the town of Lorne's messenger (where Zia was rescued). He's so fanatical that she's a witch that when faced with logical reasoning he just screams more loudly about her being a witch. I understand when he was with the town and how the mob mentality could've effected him, but we had confrontations with him a few times and he still was so adamant that she was a witch despite everybody else saying otherwise. 

The main reason I gave this 4-stars is Zia. Now I understand how Artair and Zia are at face value an opposites attract trope. She's very free and open to the world and almost hippie-like in her views while Artair tries to stay responsible and logical most of the time. They do clash at times, but it felt like it was Zia causing the clash most of the time. It took too long for Zia to understand that there were different ways to show passion and that not everybody needed to show passion like she did. Sometimes she was a little too okay with everything going on. It took to like 70% for her to understand that Artair is very passionate, just in a different way. Plus she drove me nuts because when she would show her care for him or tell him she loved him, she would stop him before he could respond. I get that she was scared about how he would respond, but then she would get frustrated with him that he hadn't said he felt the say yet. She just grated on me sometimes. Also Artair was so protective of her and just trying to look after her but she fought him every step of the way. He wasn't trying to smother her or keep her from doing her healing duties, but just wanted to keep her healthy and rested. 

As I'm sure you can tell, I absolutely loved Artair. He was so accommodating and patient with her. I really loved Cavan (his older brother in book 1) and enjoyed Artair just as much, just in a different way. I loved that even though it wasn't insta-love, he still felt drawn to her and realized that someone needed to help take care of her since she wasn't doing it herself. He felt so protective of her and really wanted to understand her down to her soul. He just was so dreamy.

I have a few book club books to read before jumping into the third book, but I'm super excited to see Lachlan get his HEA. He's the lady's man of the brothers and it was teased that he's going to have to chase after his woman and she won't be one that easily falls for his ways. I'll definitely be jumping back into this series as soon as I can! Plus I want to know what happened to Ronan and can't wait for his book to find out what's been going on with him. I'm really loving Donna Fletcher and actually had my name put on hold for any of her books at my local used book store. I definitely have to have her books and adore the covers!

Have you read Under the Highlander's Spell?

Bookishly Yours, 

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Under the Highlander's Spell, Donna Fletcher, 4-stars, 4 days, eBook, 374 pages, published 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...