Sunday, April 11, 2021

Trouble with the Fake Boyfriend by Holly Renee

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

After getting through another book club book, I jumped back into Holly Renee's Rock Bottom series and read the latest book in the series, Trouble with the Fake Boyfriend. Now, before getting to much into the review I did want to do a little update. This book is 5-stars for me. I couldn't think about anything that bothered me enough to dock it all. However, I definitely enjoyed the first book more. I am also now considering Trouble with the Guy Next Door 5-stars (and will update that post).

This book focuses on Brooke and Liam, the roommates and best friends of Tucker and Kennedy (from book 1). They have had great tension in the first two books and I was excited to finally get to their story. The prologue is during Kennedy and Tucker's wedding in book 2, and they finally crack the seal a little bit on their attraction. However they get interrupted and Liam takes that chance to not go further. The main part of the book is a little while afterwards and Kennedy and Tucker are moving out into their own house. Liam's cousin is also getting married soon and his mother is very much marriage and baby-minded when it comes to Liam. To get her off his back, he says he has a girlfriend and is bringing her to the wedding. 

This book mostly covers the week that Brooke is Liam's fake girlfriend during the various festivities. I really loved the tension that Holly Renee created between them. There was also a little bit of mutual pining, but Brooke's was a lot more obvious. It was really nice that Liam was able to see Brooke as she actually was and saw past the front she shows to world. I loved how welcoming his parents were to Brooke and that they both saw the true feelings they were trying to hide to each other. I loved when Brooke was trying to sleep in the guest room and Liam's mom kept pushing her to staying in Liam's old room with him. It had me cracking up. Especially because we usually see the opposite. 

Once they kissed (again) and broke the seal so to speak the sexual chemistry was so great. Liam is definitely more on the dominate side which was a fun surprise. I did wish that they were a little more open with their feelings nearing the end of the week, but I totally understood both of their timidity based on their previous hurts. I also loved that when his ex Katie tried to cause issues, she didn't really outside of Brooke assuming what their conversation was and freaking out. Another part I liked is that we had a little bit of a time jump so didn't have to see too much angst and wallowing once they got home and separated. 

I really enjoyed this series so far, and after seeing Ryan more in this book I really hope Holly gives him an HEA too. I don't know if he'll be paired with Chloe, but if not she deserves one too! I checked into her other books recently and noticed they were more new and/or young adult, which I usually don't read too much. I absolutely love Holly Renee's writing though, so I'll probably check them out at some point. I say that, but I usually don't read too much contemporary but here I am with this being the 11th contemporary of the year. 

Have you read Trouble with the Fake Boyfriend?

Bookishly Yours, 

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Trouble with the Fake Boyfriend, Holly Renee, 5-stars, 1 day, eBook, 264 pages, published in 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...