Thursday, April 22, 2021

Tempt Me At Twilight by Lisa Kleypas

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

I am really enjoying my reread of the Hathaways series by Lisa Kleypas. The third book in the series is Tempt Me At Twilight. This book focuses on the 3rd Poppy and her romance with the enigmatic hotel owner Harry Rutledge.

Harry and Poppy's meet-cute is probably my favorite of the series. She's chasing Dodger, Beatrix's (the youngest daughter) ferret and the love letter he stole. Poppy has formed an attachment with a young gentleman, however nothing has been announced or even done in public since he's worried about his father's approval. Even though Poppy seems to be the most "normal" Hathaway, there's still a stigma against her family. She ends up in a secret passage in the manager's office and runs into Harry. They end up in his curios room, which she's the only person that he's allowed in there that didn't work for him directly. He ends up obsessed with Poppy's wit and kind of has some villain tendencies. 

Harry knows what he wants and he ends up with the love letter. He does manipulate things since he wants Poppy so much and ends up "ruining" her at a ball. They end up married for at least half of the book and it's such a different feel than the others. Poppy ends up living with Harry at the hotel so we don't get as much of the family since they went back to Hampshire. 

Harry is very mysterious and has a pretty traumatic back story. We also see that there's some sort of connection between  him and Poppy and Bea's companion Catherine Marks. So this book is almost a marriage in trouble trope. Although it's more Poppy wanting a real marriage with Harry. He believes he is unlovable and doesn't need love, but Poppy really forces him to break down those walls and form a real relationship with her. I loved how strong Poppy was and that she would submit to him, but she wouldn't necessary enjoy it. That really bothers Harry and they actually end up waiting for a bit before consummating their marriage.

I also love that when Harry messes up a little and runs instead of staying to talk with Poppy, she "runs." She's really doing it to get him to follow her to Hampshire and get some alone time with him to really connect. He falls right into her plan and it's just perfect. This is my 3rd favorite book in the series and I really enjoy how Poppy pushes for more than just a physical relationship with Harry. And yes the manipulation causes issues, but I also love that Harry is just like "I don't care." If he really wanted you he would've fought for you. I wanted you and did what I needed to to get you. It's a little bit of a villain move, but I absolutely loved how it played out. Plus the relationship he forms with his new brother-in-laws is wonderful. We also find out about his connection with Cat, but I'll go more into that in the next book. I know I keep saying this, but if you haven't read the Hathaways and like or are interested in reading historical romance, you NEED to read this series. It's just so good from start to end.

Have you read Tempt Me At Twilight?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Tempt Me At Twilight, Lisa Kleypas, 5-stars, 0 days, paperback, 2736 pages, published in 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...