Saturday, April 16, 2022

Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas

⭐⭐⭐⭐💫

I have joined another long-running readalong! This time it is the SJM readalong created by Jenn (The Book Refuge)! Each portion she'll have different people helping her host, but since it'll be constantly changing I'll just focus on linking to Jenn. So the readalong is going be reading through Sarah J Maas's backlist in publication order, hopefully ending around the time of her newest release (which hasn't been announced yet). I have not read SJM before, but I'm excited to finally dive in. For April there are two books and two novellas assigned, but they are being separated into two different live shows. For the first, scheduled for today April 16th, we are to read the first book in the Throne of Glass series, Throne of Glass. I also used this for my two reading challenges. It covered the prompt Fifteen (young adult story, story with teens or a lot of angst) for the Taylor Swift Quarterly Challenge and the prompt new to you author for Love Has Sprung.

Celaena is an assassin and one of the best. It has been a year since she has been captured and sent to work in the salt mines of Endovier. When the Crown Prince of Adarlan Dorian arrives, he is hoping to convince Celaena to become his contender in a competition/trial to become the king's Champion. Celaena agrees since once her service is done she'll have her freedom, but things aren't as they seem. As she butts heads with the Captain of the Guard Chaol and other competitors start turning up dead outside of the trials, Celaena knows there more here then meets the eye. When she gets visited by the ghost of the first queen of Adarlan, she is tasked to deal with the evil being being called to this world through Wyrdgates, magic that was thought lost.

Oh my gosh! I really loved this. I've been pretty open about never really reading young adult books and I was a little hesitant coming into this. I've also heard that it's a rough start to the series but that it gets a lot better later in the series. If this is how it starts, my mind is going to be absolutely blown as we get through the series. I really loved this and if this was Sarah J Maas's debut and she grows from here, I'm even more excited to get through her series. Now, I know that the romance gets heavier later on in the series and I really hope it's not a love triangle between Dorain and Chaol. I haven't looked ahead since I don't want to be spoiled for anything, but if I have to choose between the two, I would be team Dorian. I don't know though... I feel like neither of them are the match for Celaena. I'm sure they're all going to grow and the world will expand.

So moving on from the gushing, what dropped this down to a 4.5-stars for me was to do with Chaol and Dorian. I wasn't that big of a fan of Chaol and didn't like his hot and cold reactions with Celaena. I also was confused on his naivete about the world. With Dorian being the crown prince, you would typically expect him to be the one that's not fully aware of what's going in the world. While he doesn't know everything, Dorian was at least aware of things going on and that life wasn't idyllic as the other nobles thought for the commoners. Chaol, even though he was a nobleman turned guard, was a lot more oblivious. I just got confused because if Chaol was one of the only people that Dorian was able to discuss these things with, why was he so constantly surprised by what was going on. While I liked that it was opposite than normal, it just felt odd for him to be so oblivious to some things.

Overall I can't wait to read more and see where the story is going to go. I had so much fun reading Throne of Glass and am so happy this readalong is pushing me to finally read her books! I really am excited to dig into more and it'll be fun, since we are going in publication order, to watcher her writing evolve and grow from book to book. I think I might need to join the Maas fan club now!

Have you read Throne of Glass?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Throne of Glass, Sarah J Maas, 4.5-stars, 0 days, eBook, 433 pages, published in 2012, traditionally published

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...