Monday, September 26, 2022

Ruby Fever by Ilona Andrews

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

The final book, and recent release, for the Hidden Legacy readalong was Ruby Fever. This is the 6th book in Ilona Andrew's very popular series and also wraps up Catalina's trilogy. The readalong was hosted by Stef, Heather, Megan and Izzy. If you missed the live show for Ruby Fever, I have linked it. I was able to use this to cover warm tone color(s) on the cover for Fall in Love!

Catalina has been working as the Deputy Warden of Houston. When the Warden gets attacked and self-enforces a comatose status at the same time a powerful political figure is attacked, she is made the acting Warden. As House Baylor works to solve the different happenings going on around town, a Russian Prince shows up to cause drama. When a lot of the attacks that have been happening around them end up being attached to the machinations of Alessandro's father's murderer, they have to prepare for war. As they work through the House's survival, old threats come into play as alliances, if not more.

This was such a great book and I thought it was so well wrapped up for Catalina's trilogy. There was so much going on that it's really hard to touch base on everything that happened and avoid spoilers. First off, there is a little less romance between Catalina and Alessandro in this book, but we just get to sit with them as a solid couple. Not that they don't get some alone time, but the romance I feel like isn't quite as important to the story line here. We also get some set up for Arabella's possible match (I know we'll probably have to wait a while before we see any books from her). What really blew me away was the more we learned about Catalina's powers. There was still more depth and nuance than I expected and it was really fun really getting to learn not only more about her powers, but some of the lineage behind it. For the "big bad" in this book, it was handled really well and it really did a good job of not only tying up a lot of the loose threads from Catalina's trilogy, but from Nevada's trilogy as well. I don't want to give spoilers, but this was such a great wrap up of the series to this point.

Just as an aside, if you weren't aware, this was officially the final book for their publishing contract. Ilona Andrews is now going to be indie publishing (as per a couple of their announcements). From an interview I saw, they are planning on eventually doing books for Arabella, but there's no timeline as of now. There are a couple hints and very tiny loose threads where her books could pick up, but I wasn't left feeling like there was still a lot left open for her books.

They hosts are planning on starting another Ilona Andrews readalong for the Innkeeper Chronicles series, but I the plan as of now is for it to start early next year in 2023. Stay tuned to all their youtubes and instagrams for the official announcement. While I would love to continue my binge reading of Ilona Andrews, I think I'm going to wait so I can have them all first time reads for the readalong. No matter what, I can't wait to read more from Ilona Andrews, both in their backlist and whatever they choose to write next!

Have you read Ruby Fever?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Ruby Fever, Ilona Andrews, 5-stars, 0 days, Paperback, 380 pages, published in 2022, traditionally published

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...