Friday, July 1, 2022

Space Junk by Sara L Hudson

⭐⭐⭐⭐💫

So, as part of my revamp of my Booktube Channel, I decided for June 2022 to start doing a tbr. I went with just three options, backlist author, new to me author and continue a series. The June pick for new to me author was Sara L Hudson! I've been wanting to pick up her Space series for a bit now, so had to start with book one, Space Junk. I was able to use this for the male only cover prompt for Summer of Swoon and mistaken identity prompt for the Ripped Bodice Summer Bingo.

Jackie works at Nasa is a geek to utmost degree. Having graduated early from high school and going through college at an early age, she isn't too good in social situations. When her friend, and astronaut, kind of blackmails her, Jackie starts Operation Social Life. She goes to a local bar and there ends up sitting alone drinking a coke (no alcohol) and somehow ends up taking her new friend Rose home. She was there to celebrate her 21st birthday and got ditched by her friends. Rose directs her to her brother's house and it's there that Jackie sees the man she was ogling at the bar. Rose adopts Jackie, and her waitress Trish, as her new friends and "accidentally" dents Jackie's car the next morning. She directs Jackie to a local car repair shop, owned and run by her brother Flynn. As Flynn and Jackie work through their first-impressions, Jackie also struggles with her insecurities. When Jackie gets accepted in the astronaut training program, Flynn gets worried since his parents were both adrenaline junkies that led to them ignoring their children a lot and eventually led to their deaths.

This book, guys this book was so freaking good. I really enjoyed my time reading this and stayed up way too late the first night reading. I loved and adored Jackie. She was so awkward in a lot of social situations, but I also enjoyed that she just wasn't so oblivious. There is the trope here of her not knowing she's pretty, but it also made sense for Jackie. The way she grew up and social interactions she's had throughout her formative years really didn't lead up to her learning a lot of the social cues. On top of the fact she's always felt a little out of place and that others see her as "too smart" to be around. She also knows how to take care of herself though and I loved when we see her bring down someone being a little too forward all from grabbing his finger. It was just so great to see.

Now, with Flynn and the 3rd act conflict you could see it coming. It was definitely predictable, but I have to say the grovel and the way the book ended wasn't. While the epilogue wasn't what I expected, it just felt so perfect. Flynn and Jackie were so cute together and I loved how so much of their sense of life and style where well matched. They both appreciate older time periods and architecture. I also loved how much Jackie was willing to learn about things she didn't know and that Flynn teaching her how to hotwire a care ended up being how she saves the space station! Aside from that, I just really loved the relationship between Flynn and Jackie as well as the friendships she makes with Trish and Rose. Also, apparently Rose and Flynn are extremely wealthy as their grandfather was an oil baron. While Flynn isn't apart of the social life that comes with his level of wealth anymore, it was nice to really see how he kept thinking to himself the worst of what Jackie was saying or doing but then pleasantly surprised when it was actually coming from a good place. I did wish he didn't quite focus as much on it after the first few times, but the twist about the money situation at the end was pretty fun!

I cannot wait to read more by Sara and if I'm not careful I can see myself bingeing the rest of the series. I'm super excited for the rest of the books and I feel like I can pretty well guess who's going to be paired with who. Give me more of the nerdy/geeky romances and add a whole heap of science on top! I'm so happy I finally picked up this book and cannot wait to read more!

Have you read Space Junk?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Space Junk, Sara L Hudson, 4.5-stars, 1 day, eBook, 298 pages, published in 2020, indie published

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...