Monday, July 11, 2022

Bright Like Wildfire by Juliette Cross

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

With a little bit of a break before digging into more of my planned reads for July, I decided to pick up Bright Like Wildfire by Juliette Cross. I did receive an ARC (advanced reader's copy) since I am a member of her Patreon. This is the first book in her new Beauville series! I was able to use this to cover the prompt summer 2022 release for Summer of Swoon. This also worked perfectly for my prompt for July's roll for the Yahtzee Challenge, Ones!

Betty is auditioning for her community theater's production of Barefoot in the Park. She wins the lead role, however will be costarring with Bennett. She has had a grudge against him since she was young and he glitter bombed her during a production of A Midsummer's Night Dream. Top that off with the opening of his new grocery store causing her to be late that morning for work, when they meet again there's some tension. As Bennett and Betty work together, their attraction grows quickly outside of their roles as actors and they quickly can't stay away from each other. As Bennett deals with the opening of his new business and unwanted interjections by his father, Betty is perfect for keeping him grounded and giving him some stress-free times. When they both start to develop deep feelings for each other, Betty gets nervous that it's too quick and easy.

Oh my gosh. Juliette does it again. This was so much fun and I'm so happy to read her first independently published contemporary. The sexual tension between Bennett and Betty was so visceral and as hot as a wildfire ;). Being a big fan of Juliette, watching all the live shows I can with her and following her podcast Smart Women Read Romance (with her niece Jessen), I can see a lot of inspiration from her own life. It felt reading a story that was about people that could be Juliette's neighbors or something similar. The setting just felt so grounded and real and I loved it. It's always that extra little realism that helps me really sit in the story and can picture myself living in the same area (although I have a pretty active imagination).

Honestly, there isn't much I would change or want more of from this story. I thought it was quick paced but felt natural. Sometimes two people just click and you know you're meant to be together. I also loved that there was representation of anxiety issues on Bennett's end. I loved seeing that it was something he had under control for the most part, but certain events could trigger that. While he was embarassed, I loved that he really pushed himself to be upfront and honest with Betty as much as he could. I just loved the way that they both worked through their respective issues and didn't gloss over any flaws. It just felt so good to see them work through things and reach their HEA. Also pairing their love story along with the play was such a fun addition.

Another great book from Juliette and another great start to the series. There are so many side characters I'd love to see get their HEAs, the biggest being Betty's friends/co-workers Lily and Finn as well as Bennett's brother Hale. Every time Juliette announces a new book I get excited and this is just a continuation of that trend. Juliette is one of my favorite authors, and let's be honest, one of my favorite people. I couldn't be more happy that I found her books and the podcast! If you haven't tried Juliette Cross, please check her out.

Have you read Bright Like Wildfire?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Bright Like Wildfire, Juliette Cross, 5-stars, 2 days, eBook, 308 pages, published in 2022, indie published

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...