Saturday, February 26, 2022

Magic Triumphs by Ilona Andrews


⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

We have reached the final book in the Kate Daniels series, Magic Triumphs. I've been reading the series in part of a readalong hosted by Stef, Heather, and Megan. The readalong will be continuing with the spin-off and I think they are talking about doing their other series as well, but I'm sure they announce it at one of the next couple live shows. I was able to use Magic Triumphs for the FaRoFeb prompt favorite trope and Winter's Kiss 2nd board prompt want to read before the New Year.

Kate and Curran are anxiously awaiting the next call to war from her father Roland. It's been a couple years since the end of Magic Binds. Since then, Curran and Kate have given birth to their boy, Conlan. He is 18 months old and they are constantly aware of Roland wanting to take him from them. When small villages of people start going mysteriously missing, Kate starts investigating. When it turns out to be at the hands of her father's oldest enemy, Kate and Curran struggle to keep Atlanta safe from two old powers.

Guys.... oh my gosh. I was so torn on starting this book. I was ready to dive in and read how it would end, but at the same time I didn't want it to end. It did help knowing that there would be more entries in the Kate Daniels Universe, but it was bittersweet for me. Now, this took some turns I wasn't expecting and I tried really hard not to do too much speculating. I don't really want to talk too much about this as usual, because anything would be a spoiler. I will say that there were moments I was crying, moments I was cheering and moments I was on edge. I do have to say, I'm a little disappointed that we lost two of the characters that we had grown close too. One I was more okay with the passing, but the other I wish it was just left open-ended. I also wanted more of an HEA for Kate and Curran. The last chapter was a couple weeks after the big battle and I just wanted more than a few pages with them finally being able to take a breath and enjoy being a family.

The epilogue was also great and very much led into Aurelia Ryder. I really wanted to pick up the next book right away, but I also wanted to pace myself. I also didn't want to read it too early. I usually try to read a required book closer to when the meeting/live show is so I still have my thoughts and feelings fresh. Otherwise, this was such a fantastic ending and I loved the way that things were wrapped up, but you can also just see the world continuing. It wasn't the closing of a book, but more of a zoom out into darkness. I don't know if that makes sense, but really that's the best way to put into words how I felt when I finished Magic Triumphs. If you are interested in Kate Daniels, please pick it up. It really was such a great series and I can't wait to get through the rest of Ilona Andrews's backlist!

Have you read Magic Triumphs?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Magic Triumphs, Ilona Andrews, 5-stars, 3 days, paperback, 439 pages, published in 2019, traditionally published

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...